Home » Celiac Information, Gluten Free in College, Ramblings

Gluten Free College Living

Written By: Eric on September 25, 2009 13 Comments

Last post I talked about the new options that the University of Oregon has, now I want to give a few tips for those entering college. First off, options now are a lot greater than in past year so it should be easier now that 5 years ago which is awesome. If you are entering a college or university make sure you set up a meeting with the dietician and see what accommodations they can make for you. I am willing to bet that now a day’s things are much easier for those following a Gluten Free diet than when I was a freshman. They will usually set you up with people who prepare the food or are in charge of the meal halls and it is nice to introduce yourself to them so they will recognize you when you go to eat.

I met with the dietician to talk about my situation and she said she would speak with the cooks from the various meal halls, but it never really developed into something I could count on. Her and I were worried about cross contamination issues because so many people would be going through and getting food. I was lucky enough to be able to have a microwave in my room which made it a little easier to eat. I basically had to buy stuff that I could microwave for lunches and dinner, and stick to cereal for breakfast. I ended up learning a lot during the year and will be sharing some tips soon. I recommend getting a microwave for your dorm room along with a refrigerator; it will make things much more bearable. Here is an article(The Gluten Free College Student) I found that may be helpful to you, not sure I agree with everything in the article but it was still interesting to read.
From what I saw in the meal halls from my visit to my sisters dorm it appears as if they are making a push to expand their options for those with Celiac and I would like to think I had something to do with it. I am glad to know they have improved their options for those that need to follow a Gluten Free diet!

Tags: ,

Digg this!Add to del.icio.us!Stumble this!Add to Techorati!Share on Facebook!Seed Newsvine!Reddit!

13 Responses to “Gluten Free College Living”

1. Scott says on: 27 September 2009 at 8:35 pm

I like how you were in no way shy about going to the school and looking for a solution to your situation. I am willing to bet that you did play a major role in helping your school reevaluate the food choices for its students.

2. colondetox says on: 1 October 2009 at 12:46 am

i have been in a gluten free diet ever since last year because i have food allergy.

3. glutunfreeman says on: 2 October 2009 at 9:04 pm

i like how post gluten free college. new to united states i go to university of minnesota. thank you for website, help me much.

4. leah says on: 10 October 2009 at 11:41 am

i went and talked to the woman in charge of the meals and she said theres no way i should get a meal plan just because even if it says gluten free, there is a 99% chance that cross contamination will occur.

now for tennis they put me on a diet where i can only eat 27g carbs, 17g protein, 9g of fat per meal 5x a day and its so hard when i cant eat what everyone else is eating and it’s hard to get those numbers when i feel like alot of gf food is high in fat

5. Eric says on: 10 October 2009 at 2:56 pm

That is a very tough situation. I would talk to the coach or trainer who gave you that diet and talk to them about your situation, maybe they have suggestions or will be able to give you different numbers. It is not something you can control, the diet is necessary and needs to be followed so I think they will work at creating a new plan.

6. Peemiurrouh says on: 1 November 2009 at 4:48 pm

Other variant is possible also

7. John Henry says on: 6 November 2009 at 12:10 am

me love you long time

8. Andres says on: 19 December 2009 at 11:26 am

Was very happy to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this very good read!! I clearly happy every little bit of it and I have bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

9. Emmitt Graven says on: 30 December 2009 at 12:41 pm

Is there any express diet that you might advocate for someone that is 220 and 6’4? I have a hard time losing weight also.

10. spyware protector says on: 30 December 2009 at 2:19 pm

Epic 🙂 It’s such a shame more folks don’t know about this place, this covered just the thing I needed this morning

11. Lin Bisson says on: 26 January 2010 at 9:39 am

I have forgotten who it was but I first found out about your site from a link posted on Twitter. . Fancy the content I have seen so far and will certainly return to read more afterward. By the way, are you on Twitter?

12. large dining room tables says on: 17 February 2010 at 8:49 pm

I lately came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first remark. I don